Good afternoon! I created something for a healthy snack today and am here to share on my blog!
The Avocado! What a fun fruit. Yes it is a fruit!
Eating a colorful variety of fruits and veggies provides wider range of valuable nutrients like fiber, vitamins, and potassium. California Avocados are part of The Produce for Better Health Foundation’s Fruits & Veggies—More Matters® health initiative in the green fruit category. This program offers expert cooking advice, nutrition information and shopping tips.
I didn’t quite get into ‘avocado mode’ until a few years ago. My grandmother always fed me it when I was little and told me that it tasted like butter! I didn’t really get it, but learned that anything that relates to butter is an exciting thing for my family!~ I always liked it but never really used it. Recently I have been incorporating it into my weekly menu. It is full of healthy fats, vitamins and minerals, not to mention great flavor and texture so I can’t pass it up! I have been adding it to salads and dressing, and of course I used avocado to make a fresh home blended guacamole. I have also tried adding it to smoothies to enhance texture and flavor and let me tell you it works! It is a creamy deal! I will have to post some of my smoothie recipes eventually. I have also tried using it as a replacement for cream cheese/butter/mayo on bagels, breads and wraps when wanting that creamy texture but not too much added fat and sodium that I would typically get from dressing and condiments. It is even good in pasta!
Today I was kicking for some tuna salad! After a long workout I wanted some protein! What’s easier than opening a can of tuna? (I didn’t feel like waiting for the hard boiled eggs to cook and didn’t have any made). I remembered that I have a stock of tuna in the cabinet and a fresh avocado that I bought at the market this past week! What to do… so this is what I came up with!
Tuna salad remix using avocado fresh lemon, herbs and spices:
- 1 can of chunk light tuna
- 1/2 lemon(Tbsp of lemon juice)
- 1/2 fresh ripe (soft) avocado
- 1/2 dill pickle
- Fresh chopped onions or garlic depending on your taste
- Italian spices, black pepper, onion or garlic powder
- Open can of tuna and add to a bowl
- Chop up whole pickle add to tuna
- Finley slice and chop onion and garlic and add to mixture (if desired)
- Cup half of avocado smash with fork, add 1 tbsp of lemon juice and mix until all incorporated, not too creamy (unless that is the texture you like) Add desired spices to mixture.
- Combine Tuna mix and avocado mix in the bowl, serve immediately or chill until cold.
Top on tomato slices or toasted whole wheat baguette!
This is such a simple recipe and can be added to macaroni salad in place of mayonnaise, a filling for sandwiches or served as a snack!
Enjoy and please share your avocado recipes with me!